F-FAWB - Wonderboom

Feeders on the African continent.
hermanZA

F-FAWB - Wonderboom

Post by hermanZA » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:23 pm

Another new one, Wonderboom Airport.
Sorry Gauteng brothers, they now busy in your nick of the airspace to deploy them F boxes.

Question remains: why do we still feed to FR24, if they have this attitude. I still say, they should have considered us T feeders as hosts, as we do it for the LOVE and joy of aviation, not cause we were asked to.

Great Dane
1k Poster

Re: F-FAWB

Post by Great Dane » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:54 pm

If it brings us MLAT i am happy :D

hermanZA

Post by hermanZA » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:28 am

To get MLAT we would need at least 3 receivers within a <200km radius to do that successful (thats according to FR specs). Chances of those lot deploying that receiver density in this country is next to nothing, close to zero. They say that ANY T-feeders data is NOT good enough for MLAT, they ONLY use F-feeds for MLAT.

Best we could ever get, is the whole lot of us work together on PlanePlotter and do our own thing.
Typical scenario would be 1 or 2 Gauteng feeders + our Welkom guy + myself and then only we stand a chance in plotting those ghosty ones up there. Once we have plotted the ghosts, then the estimation features would be able to take them quite a distance further.
I once tried the action with myself, our feeder who was in Vereeniging and a temporary install in Bloemfontein, (would have made for ideal distribution) but never could get the BFN antenna high enough to be of value (townhouse and rules regarding poles and antennas and things)

And yes, ANY receiver can do MLAT when feeding the raw data into PPlotter. There is new software in development that will be MLAT capable by default, but its still in the early stages. Its being developed by a private chap who seems rather brilliant in this kind of stuff.

Great Dane
1k Poster

Post by Great Dane » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:34 am

I have the same reception as a receiver down the big hole in Kimberley :(

Good to the north east to east, other than that surrounded by hills much higher than the house in all other directions. Being 4km from FAWK and still planes sneak in (and sometimes out) without being contacted :crazy:

Still have hope they will get some MLAT up and running around JNB area.

hermanZA

Re: F-FAWB - Wonderboom

Post by hermanZA » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:51 pm

This site has awesome coverage!
Wonder on which military tower or mast its installed ?