F-FACT2, F-FACT3 - CAPE TOWN

Feeders on the African continent.
hermanZA

F-FACT2, F-FACT3 - CAPE TOWN

Post by hermanZA » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:48 am

Another 2 new feeders activated,
Obviously us T-feeders are really redundant (possibly unwanted even!). My feed to FR24 are sporadic at best of times (just to keep my Premium access active).

Just to see what new F's are coming online in JHB area....

Great Dane
1k Poster

Re: FACT2, FACT3 - CAPE TOWN

Post by Great Dane » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:05 pm

What is T- vs. -F- feed :eh:

SBSer

Re: FACT2, FACT3 - CAPE TOWN

Post by SBSer » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:01 pm

I suspect that the F- feeders are from the boxes that FR24 are so freely dishing out ( or you can buy at about €850.00 ) with antennas.

It appears that these boxes send more data than the T- feeders i.e. Airnav- , SBS- boxes and Dongles and are therefore preferred.

http://forum.flightradar24.com/threads/ ... e-more-dat refers.

I might be wrong of course.

It also appears as if the freebie operators here in ZA are often not true enthusiasts and are not online 24/7. Maybe this system uses more bandwidth.

hermanZA

Re: F-FACT2, F-FACT3 - CAPE TOWN

Post by hermanZA » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:20 pm

Indeed those I referred to are F-boxes supplied by FR24. Sorry for not stating that in topic.

There has been some discussion previously on another forum as to WHY F-feeders get priority on that site. No clear answer was given from the powers that be (do they ever?), but it was speculated that (a) F-box upload interval is shorter than the interval than the software they compile and distribute (feeder software typically about every 8 seconds, (b) the system is setup to outright prefer data from a F source rather than a T source, (c) the data collected from whichever device, will remain a constant, as the transponder squawk/squitter is predertermined by the universally adopted protocol and device specs.

As to the upload interval, myself and a feeder in the UK investigated the theory, found it to be the case and also discovered a way around that (based upon the linux and Pi versions we tested; the windows feeder application was not tested as we were not interested in that.
Vague answers were given as to preferred data (obvious nonsense to keep the masses happy).
The data collected from the AC also gets processed faster by the Beast device, which supposedly is more "accurate"... but if you take the "maths" behind it, add some frequency filters to "clean" the signal, its not clear how this data can then be of a "better" quality than anything else exiting the decoder module (say Dump1090 or similar), albeit running on a Pi or (as my case) a quad core Linux based computer with 4 gig memory.

SBSer: I wholeheartedly agree with your observation, some of the new F's are offline frequently, sometimes for a day!

hermanZA

Re: F-FACT2, F-FACT3 - CAPE TOWN

Post by hermanZA » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:09 am

And a F-FACT4 also !