African Skies is an ADS-B discussion forum and the content will reflect that. Where posts are not of this nature, the moderators may exercise the right to remove such content without notification to the poster. The moderators decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.
The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of The Portal or its moderators, administrators or founders. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact a moderator immediately via the Report feature, or by personal message (PM). Moderators have the ability to remove objectionable messages and will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if it is determined that removal is necessary.
You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, racist, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a persons privacy, or otherwise violate any law.
You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or you have the permission of the copyright owner.
The forum is moderated by members chosen by the site founders. These members can be identified by their names being in bold, green type. It is their responsibility to make sure, where possible, that discussion remains focused, relevant, on topic and within the rules stated on this page. They reserve the right to edit, change, or delete any post deemed unsuitable, or not within the rules outlined on this page. The moderators reserve the right to prevent access to members, and revoke membership at any time. Moderators do not have to provide a reason for any decision made and their decision is final.
Any person posting in the forum is legally responsible for what they post. The Portal, its moderators, administrators and founders accept no responsibility for anything which is posted, and the consequences of such.
Advertising of product, services, or anything else is permitted only in the Services Offered forum and will be strictly moderated. No advertising in the general forums or via private messaging is allowed. Within the context of discussion, information about the use of, the location of, and the price of products is permitted.
A link to one personal, non commercial website is allowed in your signature. The moderators reserve the right to remove any link or other contents deemed to be unsuitable. This may include items in your user profile such as an Avatar.
Certain forums within The Portal may be subject to additional terms and guidelines. These are posted as a Sticky within these forums.
Our aim is to provide a forum for focused, high quality discussion. We therefore request that all posts should be kept on topic. This facilitates quality discussion and is for the benefit of all members.
Users may only use this forum if they agree to the these terms and conditions - registering or making a post is regarded as your agreement to these conditions. This site shall be governed by the laws of the Republic of South Africa. Anything which may be construed as illegal activity will be reported to authorities, along with any details held regarding the member(s) involved.
The moderators aim to remain as transparent as possible. We will ensure that all actions taken are fair and in line with the below policies.
Topic Closure Policy
The moderators reserve the right to close any topic without justification. We will always try to use the following policy. Topics will normally only be closed in the following circumstances:
- Where the topic is, or has become inappropriate, offensive, derogatory, abusive (including personal attacks), vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a persons privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.
- Where the topic is drifting away from the topic of discussion, or new posts are not constructive and will cause the deterioration of the discussion.
- Moderators will attempt to split/move topics to a more appropriate forum before closing a topic in this case.
- Where a topic reaches a natural conclusion, and by leaving the topic open it is likely that either of the above two points will occur.
- Where a topic is in breach of the forum rules and guidelines as outlined here.
- Moderators will always look at all available options before closing a topic.
Moderators reserve the right to edit any post without justification. We will always try to use the following policy. Posts will normally only be edited in the following circumstances:
- Where the post is inappropriate, offensive, derogatory, abusive (including personal attacks), vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a persons privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.
- Where a post is in breach of the forum rules and guidelines as outlined above.
- Where the post formatting or spelling has failed to a point where it severely affects the ability to read and make sense of the post and topic.
- In cases where the post is offensive, derogatory, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a persons privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law, the member may have their posting rights revoked until the situation is reviewed.
- And in the case of spelling or formatting corrections, changes should be minimal and not alter or affect the meaning of the post.
A warning system is in place to advise members that their post(s) fall below the acceptable standard as outlined above. A 3 Strikes and you re out policy has been introduced.
A moderator should at the first opportunity delete the entire content of any post which contains offensive, personally insulting, or threatening language, replacing it by a notice which states only that the text has been deleted for contravening the rules of the forum.
The writer of any such post will be informed by the moderator precisely why the text has been deleted. And that they have been officially warned.
Official warnings can also be given for other offences, including breach of the forum rules of any serious nature. The member receiving such a warning will be informed by the moderator precisely why the warning has been given, and that they have been officially warned.
Three strikes and you re out! Anyone who has more than 3 official warnings will be referred to the moderators who will decide what further action to take. This could involve a suspension or a permanent ban.
Members cannot see each others warning levels, with the exception of the moderators.
In cases where the behaviour of a member is deemed to be of such a serious nature that a warning is not the appropriate course of action, a moderator can suspend the user account and refer the matter to the moderator group for consideration to permanently ban the user.
Any threat to a member of the moderators will result in an instant ban and consideration of reporting the member to his ISP and the Police. IP and e-mail address recorded will only be used for this purpose.